National Preparedness Month
It Doesn’t Cost a lot to be Prepared
It is no secret that many families and individuals are looking to cut back on spending. But with the frequency of disasters, both natural and manmade, can you afford not to be prepared? Preparedness doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. September is National Preparedness Month, and we are asking you to help your family and friends prepare for whatever may come. Here are a few tips* on how you can protect those that matter to you without spending a fortune.
• Make a Plan. Work with you family and neighbors to make an emergency plan for the types of disasters that affect your area. Make sure everyone in your family understands where to go and what to do in case of an emergency. You can download Family Emergency Plan templates www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
• Update Contact Information. Having accurate records for family, friends and neighbors will help you stay in contact and possibly help those in need. Make sure updated contact information is posted in visible places throughout your house and workplace.
• Check Your Policy. Review your insurance policy annually and make any necessary changes – renters, too! When a disaster strikes, you want to know that your coverage will get you back on your feet.
• Make a Ready List. You may not need all of the items in ready-made preparedness kits. Choose the essentials that fit your needs and budget. Don’t forget to keep supplies at work and in your car. Sample Ready Lists can be found at www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list
• Plan Your Purchases. You can save money by thinking ahead. Don’t buy preparedness items just before a storm when they’re expensive and supplies will be in high demand. Buy items at the end of the season when you can get good deals.
• Shop Sales. Shop at sales and used goods stores. Buy preparedness items throughout the year, instead of all at once, and you won’t notice the cost as much.
• Make Sure it Keeps. Store water in safe, containers. You don’t need to buy expensive bottled water, just make sure your water containers are disinfected and airtight
• Request a Gift. We all get things we don’t need. Suggest preparedness supplies as gifts from your friends and family. It just might save your life.
• Trade a Night Out. Trade one night out to fund your 72-hour kit. Taking a family of four to the movies can cost upwards of $80. Just one night staying in could fund your Ready kit.
• *The best tip: start now. Take small steps toward preparedness and before you know it, you will be Ready!
The SERVPRO Difference
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals
SERVPRO Puts Property Owners Back in Control
Our number one goal is returning damaged areas and items to preloss condition, doing all we can to make it "Like it never even happened." Every SERVPRO Franchise Professional is dedicated to restoring both the property and the lives of the customers being helped.
Serving America Since 1967
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have been helping home and business owners recover from water damages across the United States.
A Nationwide Service Provider
SERVPRO is a franchise system with over 1700 independently owned and operated locations nationwide. More locations means faster response time. SERVPRO of Huntington Beach can be onsite within four hours to help protect the structure, business and personal property.
24-Hour Emergency Service
In our business, you need us fast! the sooner we arrive the better chance we can reduce damage and save money. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
The Right Equipment
SERVPRO of Huntington Beach understands that using the proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. When time mattes, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform.
Your home is truly a reflection of you, your taste and your personality. Suffering damage to your home can feel like a part of you has been damaged as well. We recognize a loss can make you feel vulnerable, invaded or robbed of part of your life. Your loss is unique-in how it started, the emotions experienced and the extent of damage.
When damage affects your home, you want it to be restored to pre-loss condition. You cannot afford to let the marketability of your home be affected.
SERVPRO of Huntington Beach is the trusted choice for hundreds of insurance companies nationwide, because they know SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the experience to do the job right.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
From a burst pipe in an office building to faulty wiring in an apartment complex, fire and water losses are never planned, but they do occur. SERVPRO of Huntington Beach knows there's no such thing as a small emergency when it threatens the welfare ofteh tenants and the revenue of the property owner. Have you developed a thorough contingency plan? Is the emphasis on the first 24-48 hours to help you get back in your building as quickly as possible?
SERVPRO of Huntington Beach can provide you assistance in developing and Emergency Ready Profile. As part of a well throught-out contingency plan, your ERP will contian informaition you need in teh event an emergency situation occurs.
SERVPRO professionals can manage the damage with
-Over 45 years of business in the cleanup and restoration industry
-More than 1700 franchises
-Detailed communication throughout the cleaning and restoration process to help keep you informed and in control
-Experience and training in mitigating damages ranging from single family homes to skyscrapers
We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year! SERVPRO of Huntington Beach will work hard to restore the property and its contents to pre-loss condition.
4th of July firework safety
Summer is here and it's almost the 4th of July. You know what that means, FIREWORKS!
Remember, fireworks can be dangerous, causing serious burn and eye injuries. You can help us prevent fireworks-related injuries and deaths. How? By working with a national, state or local organization where you live to promote fireworks safety in your community.
Follow these safety tips when using fireworks:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don't realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees - hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
Red Cross Emergency Apps
SERVPRO currently has a national partnership with the American Red Cross. SERVPRO began a National partnership in March of 2013 with the American Red Cross as the largest corporate sponsor for the Ready Rating Program. SERVPRO has renewed our commitment to the Red Cross by supporting a Disaster Responder program.
Apps and social media are tied for the top 4 most popular sources for emergency information during a disaster.
The American Red Cross offers a free emergency app that you might want to check out. When a disaster strikes you will have confidence that you are getting updates as it happens.
SERVPRO® of Huntington Beach We help to make it Like it never even happened.®
SERVPRO® Huntington Beach is always just a quick phone call away. Whether you are dealing with a water loss, damage from a fire or issues with mold in your home we can help. Emergencies do not work on a set schedule and can happen at any hour of the day or night. That’s why we are here 24/7, 365 to assist you should the need arise.
If you find yourself in need of our services please reach out to us at 714-841-1695 and tell them the Marketing Team sent you.
Electrical Safety tips
Thank you to the NFPA for these awesome tips to keep everyone safe!
U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 47,820 reported home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction in 2007-2011. These fires resulted in 455 civilian deaths, 1,518 civilian injuries and $1.5 billion in direct property damage.
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- In homes with small children, make sure your home has tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.
- Place lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn and use bulbs that match the lamp's recommended wattage.
- Make sure your home has ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in the kitchen bathroom(s), laundry, basement, and outdoor areas.
- Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) should be installed in your home to protect electrical outlets
Preparing for El Nino
If El Nino prediction are correct, you will want to be prepared.
Here are a few tips to help keep you and your home safe.
1. Fix your leaks before it rains.
2. Clean out your gutters.
3. Store emergency repair materials (sandbags, heavy plastic sheeting) in a safe dry place.
4. Consider flood insurance
5. Put together a disaster supply kit.
An emergency is stressful enough, knowing you have a plan in place is really helpful!
What to know about MOLD
MOLD the 4-letter word no homeowner or business owner ever wants to think about. If left untreated, mold can grow and make people sick. If you are in need of mold remediation, there are several things you can do.
Be Informed about Mold:
Excessive amounts of mold and certain types of mold may present health concerns for you your family, your tenants or your clients. It is essential for the health of your clients' families, as well as the protection of your property, to address the issue and arrange for professionals to conduct mold removal and mold remediation as soon as the presence of mold is identified.
What Causes Mold?
Water damages can cause mold growth in your home or business, therefore it is important to have your water damage cleaned promptly and professionally.
What are the signs of Mold?
Signs of the presence of excessive mold include:
* The presence of visible mold.
* Strong, musty odors.
* Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
* Excessive humidity.
If you see signs of mold call SERVPRO of Huntington Beach at (714) 841-1695. We are ready to assist you 24/7 for your mold remediation needs.